Thursday, August 30, 2012

Nonprofit Reaffirms That Money Will Get To Aurora Victims

The day after families of the victims of the Aurora, Colo. movie theater shooting said in a joint press conference that they have received little of the money raised for them by two nonprofits, one of the organizations tried to reassure them by announcing that all of the money will "eventually" get to the families.

According to a report in The New York Daily News, the Colorado Organization for Victim Assistance (COVA) released a statement a day following the Tuesday press conference. The statement reaffirmed that "One-hundred percent of donations made to COVA in the aftermath of the Aurora shooting are going directly to the victims."

COVA could not go into further detail, citing a court gag order on the victims' personal information. The organization did confirm, however, that they have been able to help victims and their families with airfare, rental cars, and emergency funds. So far, $5 million has been raised by the nonprofit.

At the joint news conference in Aurora, 18 family members of the victims killed during the shootings told attendees that they have only received $350,000 from COVA and the other nonprofit, the Community First Foundation (CFF).

"When you generate donations for a fund called ‘the Aurora Victim Relief Fund’ (CFF's dedicated fund for victims) using pictures and names of our murdered loved ones, it would stand to reason the fund is for victims of the Aurora shooting," said Tom Teves, whose son, Alex.

As of August 23, CFF collected approximately $5,043,701 for victim. The last date those funds were distributed was August 17, when $350,000 was given to COVA to help meet "some of the immediate financial needs of the 70 victims" who were injured in the shooting.

Twelve people were killed and 58 others wounded when alleged gunman James Holmes opened fire at a movie theater during a midnight screening of "The Dark Knight Rises." Holmes is currently awaiting trial for 24 counts of first degree murder and 116 counts of attempted murder, possession of explosive devices, and inciting violence.

You can read the full story in The NY Daily News.

No comments: