So with ethical decisions being anything than clear-cut, how are you supposed to make the "correct" decision?
Speaking during the Association of Fundraising Professionals (AFP) 49th International Conference on Fundraising, Barbara R. Levy of Organization & Fundraising Counsel acknowledged the difficulties nonprofit employees face when making tough decisions. To help make the right decisions for your organization, Levy offered five questions to ask when trying to determine the more ethical path:
- What are the critical facts of the situation?
- What are the key, perhaps competing, values and ethics at stake?
- Who are the players and stakeholders in the decision?
- What are the driving forces in the situation?
- What is the worst case scenario and the effects or impact on all the players who are stakeholders?